GUARDIAN ANGELS’ PUBLIC SCHOOL
Carmelite monastery, Manjummel had been a landmark in the history of the Church in Kerala and that of the Eloor Municipality. Because it was here that the native Carmelite Religious started their life in 1874 receiving their habit from the Italian Archbishop of the place, the Most Rev. Dr. Leonardo Mellano . It is worthy of very special mention that this monastery had the unique greatness and fortune of having been the residence of the Archbishop of Verapoly ,for more than 25 long years even before the Monastery was complete .Dr.Leonardo Mellano ,the Archishop of Veraploy made it his residence and lived with us from 1871 until his demise in 1897 . His room, his chapel and his curia are still the revered portions of our monastery. This monastery was the source of consolation for all the people of this locality without caste and creed. It was the need of that time to impart elementary education for the people in and around this area,so the Carmelite fathers of this monastery headed by Fr. Michael de Santa Familia TOCD ,the then Superior of this Monastery took initiative to start an elementary school .Thus in 1916 the school began to function officially by name “ Guardian Angels’ Lower Primary School “ and got the Government approval.
After a long period of 50 years, this school received a new image with the establishment of a High School for the Girls .The credit goes to Rev.Fr. Stanislaus, OCD, the then Superior of the Monastery who took the initiative to start a High School Section .All the three standards namely VIII, IX, X had to be conducted together with U.P. Section until the existing building was to be constructed . The Congregation of the Sisters of Charity was so kind enough to work along with Fr. Stanislaus, OCD for the progress of the school, and for the smooth functioning the administration of the same was given to the hands of the sisters of Charity .For the last 30 years, they played a great role in the development of the school .We remember them with gratitude.
Now the task of bearing the management has come upon our shoulders. With grateful heart we commit to memory 1st June 2002 as it is the birthday of the school. Also we keep in mind 2nd October as the Patron’s Day of our school. Being run by catholic minority its primary purpose is to provide a good all round education for catholic boys and girls; however non- catholic children are also admitted without any consideration of caste, creed and status. While keeping the Christian character of the institution, our school considers it as a duty to respect the religious beliefs of its other pupils. We celebrate in our school all the major feasts of different religions. We are committed to the Academic Progress ,Character formation and total development of the entire person undergoing training in our school . We hope that this venture of ours will lead the school to a bright future.